Week 3 Preseason Takeaways
Here are the big takeaways from Week 3 of the NFL preseason:
- Obviously the headline from Week 3 is the injuries. Etienne, Dobbins, Colts LT Sam Tevi, T.Y. Hilton, Irv Smith Jr., Evan Engram. The list goes on and on. Get rid of the preseason! Maybe not, but the injuries are definitely a downer for everyone in the football community.
- This is the Trevor Lawrence we wanted and needed to see. He looked awesome against Dallas. Things are looking up in Jacksonville, at least when it comes to Lawrence.
- Speaking of the Jaguars, what are they doing trading Gardner Minshew for a 6th round pick. I don’t understand any of the logic here. First of all, they took snaps away from Lawrence in camp and in games by playing Minshew. Surely he’s worth more than a 6th. Do they think they boosted his value enough in preseason to just barely get a 6th? Seems like an odd move. Also, he’s the perfect backup for Lawrence and you can win games with him starting. Just doesn’t make a ton of sense.
- Why didn’t the Cowboys deal for Minshew? The backup situation in Dallas is U G L Y.
- Teddy Bridgewater did….umm…not look good against the Rams. Worth monitoring. Could be a bad situation in Denver.
- Jimmy Garappolo splitting time with Trey Lance is probably a look into the future for the 49ers. I think this is something Kyle Shanahan will utilize often in the beginning of the season. I don’t think this is a Drew Brees-Taysom Hill situation, either. It reminds me of Alex Smith-Colin Kaepernick.
- Gabe Davis. We’ve been telling you all offseason he’s in line for a big role in Buffalo. His 5/75/1 slash line in Week 3 while playing with Josh Allen is a sign of things to come.
- Jordan Love…..not ready yet. It’s a good thing Green Bay got Rodgers back in the building.
- With the loss of T.Y. Hilton, Michael Pittman is a really good value in fantasy. It doesn’t matter how long Hilton is out, Pittman is being under drafted right now.
- The Ja’Marr Chase drop show continues. I’m still betting big on Chase long term, but it doesn’t look good right now. I’m fading him in drafts right now, along with everyone else. If he drops into the 7th round of drafts, I will pounce.